Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The Day's Reflection - 28 April 2013

My school slows to a start in October and faces holidays and exams in February closely followed by more exams in March after which it doesn’t usually resume till the end of April or the beginning of May. Final exams are in the beginning to mid of June. So, essentially, the most productive teaching months are November, December, and January.
Well, this year, I was sick during December and January so my school attendance was spotty and my teaching mojo less than adequate. So now that school is in its last months (which are really weeks), I’m looking back and feeling regret at my contribution as a Peace Corps Volunteer in the English Teaching sector. 
Today helped ease those regrets. 
Yes, a goal of my service here is to provide technical assistance as requested by the host country’s government. But there are two more goals, and those goals are focused on cultural exchange. Today helped enforce and reminded me to appreciate that the greatest product of my work with Peace Corps is the relationship I have with my host family.
As my time in Svay Rieng is coming to an end, I had planned to make the most of it by taking my bike out every day to visit people and places and take a lot of pictures. Well, as soon as that plan formed, I ended up with stitches in my knee cap and am still not cleared to ride my bike again. So I’ve been spending a lot of time at the house, which, while bringing me to feelings of restlessness, has also forged an even deeper relationship with my amazing family here. 
So here’s a list of just a few of the moments today that made me reflect and smile about how my life has been changed by these people:
* The baby coming to me in frequent intervals to give me a hug or put her head on my lap or kiss my cheek or just smile at me
* My sister and I teasing each other about who is the stupidest
* My family planning what wedding present to send to my friend Kelsey who has sent a few care packages for my family
* Sprawling out on the floor with my niece, nephew, and mom as we wrote thank you notes to Dave and Kelsey for the new clothes they sent for the kids
* My mother telling me not to repay the $1.25 that I had to borrow for a taxi to town yesterday
* My father letting me know that he cut down some mangoes for me to eat; my mother apologizing for forgetting to have me take pictures of my father in the tree and telling me that in a couple days he’ll climb it again and that I can take a picture to show to my parents in America and tell them that my Khmer father loves me so much that he became a monkey to get me my favorite fruit
* My nephew calling me to lay in the hammock with him where he, the baby, and I practiced our letters and numbers in Khmer and English
* Teaching the baby to say ‘I love you!’

No comments:

Post a Comment